Thursday, August 6, 2009

Where has all the money gone? Oh, we ate it!

My family has not been affected much by the recession. In fact we live in an area that is often referred to as "recession proof". My husband (God bless him) is in the Marine Corps. It means we can rely on a steady pay check, we know exactly how much he will be making every pay day. It also means we live in an area with other military families, so we aren't affected as much by layoffs in todays economy, because the military doesn't "fire" it's service men and women. But, the downside of being a military family sometimes means that we aren't 'rolling in money'. My husband doesn't get over time (even though he typically works over 40 hours a week), and we don't get 'Christmas bonuses'. More often than not, when you hear about military pay raises it equates to no more than about $70 more a pay check. Soooo...even though we aren't affectd much by the recession, we are a budget conscious family.
There are 5 of us in our family. My husband and I, and our 3 children ages 8,6 and 4. As I've said, my husband is in the military and I stay at home with the kids. One of biggest monthly bills is our grocery bill. I feel like we are just spending WAY to much! I typically go grocery shopping every 2 weeks (every pay day) and spend about $250 each grocery trip. This wouldn't be too bad except we find our selves making improtu runs to the store for things that we find ourselves needing here and there, and these little jaunts are adding up to an extra $100 every 2 weeks. This is where our savings are dwindling.
I've recently taking on the art of coupon clipping once again. So far I have decided...coupons suck! I shoulnd't say that, but have you noticed that coupons aren't what they used to be? It used to be you could actually get coupons in your Sunday paper for grocery items, it seems lately that all you get our ads aand coupons for thigns like slippers, Chuck E Cheese, and thigns you wouldn't normally dream of buying. There are sites though that supposedly help you to find the coupons you use and need more often. I've joined couponmom.com which I find way too garbled with ads and links to other sites. But the site is free. There is another site called grocery game.com, this site does charge a fee ($10 every 8 weeks) but appears to be better organized. They offer a 4 week trial period so I am going to look into it a bit.
So here are it goes with living frugal on a budget...eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment